Friday, December 12, 2008

Parable of the Bald Turkey

The sunday before Thanksgiving, I spoke in the Portland Ward. Since I was outside my own ward, I figured I could take a few creative liberties with my talk, which including rounding out the talk with what I would simply call the parable of the bald turkey.

"Earlier in the month, I began thinking of ways I might be able to have our boys become more aware of the blessings they have and to acknowledge them. One morning before work, I worked with them to cut out a pink body shaped like a turkey. Next, we cut out an orange beak! Eyes, mouth, and a pilgrim hat soon followed. The boys happily glued the pieces together, as I told them the details of the project we were undertaking. I told them that everyday they could add a new feather to the turkey. Each time they added a feather, they would think of one thing they were thankful for and write it on the feather. The weeks have gone by, with the 7-year-old being much more interested in the project that the four-year-old who is just beginning to write. Today, fastened to the fridge, the 7-year-olds turkey contains a beautiful full-fanned tail of colorful feathers noting things he is grateful for – including school, family and friends. Fastened adjacent to it, stands the 4-year-old’s bald, colorless turkey – not a feather in sight. I laugh everytime I walk by the fridge."

Don’t be a bald turkey - count our blessings and acknowledge the Lord’s hand in our lives.

3 comments:

Harris Happenings said...

Love the turkeys! I'm inspired to not have a bald turkey.

Natalie said...

That is such a cute idea! I think I'll have to add it to our holiday traditions - hopefully as the kids get older they'll be thankful for things other than the Wii and the playstation!!

The Kyles said...

That's a great story! I wish I could have been there to hear the whole talk. I hope you have a very merry Christmas! by the way I love the pics of the ice storm.